Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] [I#105] Why no releaseRefHandle()?

In case somebody doesn't want to implement it, they can always do an "empty"
implementation - just like in in the "initEnvironment" operation.

I think the arguments for it being _in_ the markup are stronger. Anybody
object?

Gil
P.S. Having a thing implemented differently does not mean that a
_conceptual_ model of this thing shouldn't be defined.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wed, October 09, 2002 14:58
To: wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org

Of course the reason we haven't named it is that different implementations
will us it differently:
 - OO-style => really a runtime instance of the entity with various
instance variables
 - Servlet-style => really a reference to the servlet + a reference to a
transient session

Both of these are transient runtime refinements on the entity, but neither
instance nor session are accurate descriptions of both.

My primary argument for releaseRefHandle()  being in the Markup factor
derives from the operations that can return a refHandle are in that factor.
The arguments against are that it should be optional (& this is a required
factor) and that it is a lifecycle management operation rather than a
markup oriented operation. I would be ok with it in either factor though.

                      Gil Tayar

                      <Gil.Tayar@webcol        To:
"'wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org'"
                      lage.com>
<wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                               cc:

                      10/09/2002 08:26         Subject:  RE: [wsrp-wsia]
[I#105] Why no releaseRefHandle()?
                      AM

The operation is not really about managing entities. It is about managing
the
yet-to-be-named-lets-see-if-we-can-live-without-a-name-for-it-and-which-I-am

-not-allowed-to-call-an-instance which is the runtime manifestation of an
entity, whose handle can be "by chance" a handle to an entity.

As such, it has to be in the Markup interface, because that is the _only_
interface which deals with the
yet-to-be-named-lets-see-if-we-can-live-without-a-name-for-it-and-which-I-am

-not-allowed-to-call-an-instance.

To prove this: let's say I do not implement the Entity Management
interface.
Would I maybe want to implement the releaseRefHandle? The answer, IMNSHO,
is
a resounding "Yes!" - I would like to enable the Consumer to tell me when
it's finished with my
yet-to-be-named-lets-see-if-we-can-live-without-a-name-for-it-and-which-I-am

-not-allowed-to-call-an-instance.

The other case (let's for a second assume I am able not to implement the
Markup interface) - if I do not implement Markup, but implement Entity
Management. Would I need to implement releseRefHandle()? The answer,
IMNSHO,
is an emphatic "No!" - all my "release"-ment needs are resolved by
releaseEntityHandle().

Humorously yours,
Gil