Subject: Re: [wsrp-wsia] Issues agenda for 10/17

We talked about this amongst the editors as well. Notice that at the end of
the line for #1 it says "for information only". We have a process in place
that these will move to resolved unless they are objected to ... the
editors would like to view this as a reminder of that transition for those
who want to object on the email list rather than as items to discuss on the
call. The actual discussion items start at #2 (Issue #26).

                      Michael Freedman
                      <Michael.Freedman@        To:       wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
                      oracle.com>               cc:
                      10/15/2002 01:53
                      PM

Rich,
   I wonder if we can make our Thursday calls more efficient if we don't
cover
Item #1: moving tentative resolved to resolved on a line by line basis?
Instead could we just ask the group if there are any items that should be
discussed/deferred prior to adopting the lot?  And then proceed to accept
the
rest as a group without explanation? This might allow us to move into the
more
substantive issues earlier in the call.
      -Mike-

Rich Thompson wrote:

> 1. Issues moving from tentative resolution to resolved (for information
> only):
>  (#01) No need for discussion of SOAP Proxy's
>      -Rewriting the Introduction section to focus more on introducing the
> concepts of the specification
>  (#03) Make all cross-references to requirements Document: a footnoted
> hyperlink
>      - Requirement references are all now hyperlinks
>  (#04) Make an appendix that pulls together all the requirement
statements
>      - First pass at this was effectively unusable ... reasonable, but
not
> useful idea => drop it
>  (#09) Insert subsections that describe the usage of data structures
>      - Interface sections have a new format that first introduces any new
> data
> structures and then discusses the operations
>  (#10) Collapsing consumerState into consumerHandle
>      - The handle is not allowed to change in modifyConsumer() while this
> field may. This was to simplify processing for the Consumer. Descriptions
> of handles tightened up to indicate they are invariant once created.
>  (#14) Should the spec describe relationship to UDDI?
>      - UDDI mapping sections removed
>  (#21) More verbiage on why no release on initEnvironment
>      - Verbiage around usage of initEnvironment() has been added
>  (#23)Adding clientParameters to getMarkup operation
>      - ClientParameters as an array of querystring, transport headers
> and/or Consumer supplied data is now part of MarkupParams.
>  (#25) Could this be renamed markupRequest? Likewise for
interactionContext
>      - These two structures have been renamed MarkupParams and
> InteractionParams.
>  (#27) Missing mapping of statefulness needs to the operations
>      - Tables to provide the mapping for the relevant data fields have
been
> added.
>  (#28) CONFIG mode is optional under JSR-168
>      - Description of CONFIG mode has been added.
>  (#29) DESIGN mode has no equivalent under JSR-168
>      - DESIGN mode has been deleted ... could not come up with a good
> description for it.
>  (#30) PREVIEW mode has no equivalent under JSR-168
>      - Description of PREVIEW mode has been added.
>  (#31) MINIMIZED state does not necessarily mean no markup
>      - Needed to modify this passage because in some circumstances the
> portlet might need to write into the output stream even if minimized.
This
> [...]
>      - F2F decision to try this reflected in current draft. Resolve as
> 'Yes'.
>  (#71) What's the difference between DESIGN MODE and CONFIG MODE
>      - DESIGN mode has been deleted ... could not come up with a good
> description for it.
>  (#72) Markup - Can Links directly point to getMarkup ?
>      - Yes, urlType=Render. See section 9.2.1.6.2
>  (#73) userContext - optional or mandatory mixup in text
>      - Rewritten as part of splitting getDescription() into 2 operations.
>  (#74) Should the Consumer MAY or MUST releaseHandles?
>      - Modify v0.7 language to say the Consumer MUST attempt to release
> these handles. Network failures should be retried at least 10 times with
at
> least 1 hour between attempts.
>  (#75) How to ensure consumerName is unique?
>      - Eliminate requirement statement, encourage uniqueness and suggest
> the Consumer's URL as such a name.
>  (#78) should we specify storage of consumerHandle?
>      - Language was updated to eliminate discussion concerning whether or
> not the Consumer persists handles to focus on releasing them at the end
of
> their lifecycle management. Draft v0.7 incorporates the suggestion to
> remove language about different Consumer implementation choices.
>  (#79) Why return consumerHandle in modifyConsumer's consumerContext?
>      - New structure (RegistrationCore) introduced to eliminate
possibility
> of this error
>  (#80) cloneEntity and modification of properties - in same call?
>      - This optimization has been eliminated. Draft v0.7 eliminates this
> piggybacked properties parameter as per F2F decision
>  (#82) What is the need of previousMode?
>      - previousWindowState and previousMode fields have been replaced
with
> constants to request the Consumer switch to the previous state/mode
>  (#85) sessionID/expires MUST/MAY contradiction
>      - Language modified to "The Consumer MUST use this new value as the
> refHandle on subsequent invocations until either the Producer supplies
> another newRefHandle or either a fault message from the Producer or the
> refHandleExpires duration indicates that the refHandle is no longer
valid.
> Note that failures to use this handle on subsequent invocations (e.g.
> something exceptional caused the Consumer to lose track of it) will
result
> in a loss of state and likely unexpected behavior for the End-User."
>  (#88) Producer URL Writing section is confusing
>      - First pass at a BNF-like notation added
>  (#89) Consumer URL Writing section is confusing
>      - First pass at a BNF-like notation added
>
> 2. (#26) Would an isRefresh flag on getMarkup be useful?
>  - This flag has been proposed as a means to distinguish between an
initial
> call on a render URL and a later call to getMarkup() (could be either an
F5
> refresh or due to an interaction with another entity on the page). Use
case
> for this is supporting entities using the JSP or servlet processing model
> (ie. single phase) ... JSR168 is discussing this at their F2F ... it was
> pointed out that this is a back door to state changes in getMarkup() that
> likely breaks many other decisions we have made.
>
> 3. (#94) getMarkup() able to modify/return state
> - Draft v0.7 has the semantics that getMarkup() only renders the current
> state. I have heard that JSR168 would like this changed to allow
returning
> modified state. Other proposals include local state modifications only.
> Would proponents of changing the semantics currently in the draft post an
> email with the proposal, a description of how it is safe against page
> refreshes (including bookmarked pages) and important use cases that would
> be enabled by the change in semantics.
>
> 4. (#6) Is groupID required?
>  - Ongoing discussion on the semantics of this parameter. Need to arrive
at
> a conclusion ....
>
> 5. (#92) Maximum size of a handle
>  - Ongoing discussion, need to arrive at a conclusion ....
>
> 6. (#84) More than a boolean in secureClientCommunications?
>  - Sasha pointed out that it may be useful to know the level of security
> applied to the End-User/Consumer connection regardless of the number of
> hops ...
>
> 7. (#96) Review well known URL parameter names
>  - Draft v0.7 has (are other needed?):
>     wsia:navigationalState - sets this for the entity
>     wsia:mode - requests a mode change before invoking the entity
>     wsia:windowState - requests a windowState change before invoking the
> entity
>     wsia:urlType - describes how to process the activation of this url
>     wsia:url - the url of a resource for when wsia:urlType=Resource
>     wsia:token - the token for namespacing when wsia:urlType=NameSpace
>     wsia:secureURL - specification that the rewritten url should use
secure
> communications
>     wsia:rewriteResource - flag indicating whether the Consumer must
parse
> the indicated url for url rewriting
>     wsia:clientParameters - Producer url writing place to put arbitrary
> clientParameter list
>     wsia:refHandle - Producer url writing place to place refHandle for
the
> resulting invocation.
>
> 8. (#18) Mandating the use of initEnvironment if Producer needs it
>  - Draft v0.7 has the following in the description of initEnvironment:
"If
> the Producer's metadata has set the doInitEnvironment flag to true, then
> the Consumer MUST invoke initEnvironment() once for the groupID prior to
> invoking getMarkup() for this End-User for any entity using the same
> groupID."
>
> 9. (#24) Adding previousWindowState to getMarkup operation
>  - Draft v0.7 removed these fields & defined semantics for a
> previousWindowState constant. Do we want those semantics? Require
entities
> to manage this themselves? ...
>
> 10. (#42) Why does consumer need to tell producer which extended
attributes
> it supports?
>  - Do we need to add explicit verbiage to the effect that a
producer/entity
> may tailor its requested items (e.g. userProfileItems) based on the
> information the Consumer supplies at registration time?
>
> 11. (#45) Signaling state change in InteractionResponse
>  - The description of navigationalState tries to capture that a null
return
> value means continue using the old value. Is the wording clear? Same
> verbiage needed for entityState? How does this interact with
> interoperability issues with using nillable?
>
> 12. (#51) Define a naming scheme how WSRP binding tModel are named
>  - Proposal from email list is
"SPEC_VERSION_FACTOR_WSDLTYPE_TYPESPECIFIC"