Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] Issue #92 Maximum size of a handle

I would prefer #3. XML Protocols tend not to limit lengths. Also, if the
Producer wants to use Consumer-side state, the spec leaves the Producer no
alternative but to use refHandle. This is not true for our "other" two
handles, which are registrationHandle and entityHandle, both which have
accompanying Consumer-side state fields.

Maybe we can resolve this by adding a Consumer-side state to the refHandle
field and adopting #2 as a SHOULD.

Gil

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Tue, October 15, 2002 19:56
To: wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsrp-wsia] Issue #92 Maximum size of a handle

We need to reach a decision on this issue. Basically here are the 3
proposals I have heard, their proponents should post pros/cons ASAP.

1) <256 bytes as the Consumer would need to keep these in memory and likely
wants to use them as a database key

2) <4K so the memory impact on Consumers is not huge while the Producer
usage scenarios are more flexible.

3) unlimited so the Producer can view this as a URI to a resource.

I have tried to give an objective and concise statement of these three
proposals, sorry if I misrepresented anything.