Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] [I#164] Proposed Resolution: An entity MAY supporthelp and edit modes

Those actively discussing this issue appear to have arrived at a consensus
to change the verbiage regarding optional mode and window state support
from "SHOULD" to "MAY".

Rich Thompson

                      Carsten Leue
                      <CLEUE@de.ibm.com        To:       Eilon Reshef <eilon.reshef@webcollage.com>
                      >                        cc:       wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
                                               Subject:  RE: [wsrp-wsia] [I#164] An entity SHOULD support help,
                      12/05/2002 03:51          and CAN su     pport edit
                      AM

I think that the porlet developer should be free to implement any mode
he/she wants, do only the VIEW mode should be mandatory, all other modes
and states optional (so I prefer the MAY statement).

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

             Eilon Reshef
             <eilon.reshef@web
             collage.com>                                               To
                                       wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
             12/05/2002 06:20                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: [wsrp-wsia] [I#164] An entity
                                       SHOULD support help, and CAN su
                                       pport edit

And not to beat a dead horse (my favorite activity), RFC2119 also says:

6. Guidance in the use of these Imperatives

   Imperatives of the type defined in this memo must be used with care
   and sparingly.  In particular, they MUST only be used where it is
   actually required for interoperation or to limit behavior which has
   potential for causing harm (e.g., limiting retransmisssions)  For
   example, they must not be used to try to impose a particular method
   on implementors where the method is not required for
   interoperability.