Subject: RE: [wsrp-wsia] [change request #187] Cacheability and perform*Interaction

From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 26 February 2003 21:40
To: wsrp-wsia@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsrp-wsia] [change request #187] Cacheability and
perform*Interaction

Document: Spec
Section: 6.3.x
Page/Line: 39/9
Requested by: Alan Kropp
Old text: [none]
Proposed text: [new section: 6.3.4? Cache Discard] The Consumer MUST
always propagate an interaction to the portlet. If there is a
perUser-scoped cache for this end-user, as a result of a prior interaction
with this portlet, the Consumer MUST NOT rely on the contents of this
cache, even if its expiration time indicates it is still valid. The reason
for this is the interaction will very likely change the portlet's state,
and therefore must not be diverted by the Consumer in favor of hitting its
cache. The Consumer COULD send the validation token from the prior
interaction's CacheControl in the interaction request, and in the event
the portlet determines that the state change does not invalidate the
cached content, will indicate that the Consumer may use the cached
content, using the response mechanism described in the section on Caching.

Reasoning: Make conformance statement wrt caching and interactions.  I
believe this aligns us with JSR requirement that actions always propagate
to the portlet.

[RT] While this is close to what we have discussed (& rejected) about
interactions invalidating the cache, I think there is value to explicitly
having the spec say something in this area.

Alternate suggestion: [new section: 6.3.4 User Interactions and Caching]
The Consumer MUST always propagate End-User interactions to the Producer.
If available, the Consumer SHOULD send the validateTag corresponding to
the MarkupParms supplied to the interaction invocation. If the Portlet
determines that the interaction does not invalidate the cached content,
will indicate that the Consumer can use the cached content via the
useCachedMarkup flag of a returned MarkupContext structure.