Subject: [wsrp-wsia] Re: WSRP wsdl and nav state in UpdateResponse

Practically I do not see a distinction between a nil and an empty
navigational state. My sense of the discussion before was to keep
UpdateRespone.navigationalState as a required field in order to reinforce
that whatever is returned is the new value (i.e. can't drop the return and
expect the one supplied to performBlockingInteraction() to be maintained
as the current navState).

I do agree with the semantics you specify, namely that the Consumer feeds
back whatever navState it has, including the empty string. This
combination means that markupParams.navigationalState will be nil only on
the first getMarkup and any links that fail to specify the
wsrp-navigationalState portlet URL parameter.

Rich Thompson

Richard Jacob@IBMDE
03/14/2003 07:06 AM

        To:     Andre Kramer <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com>
        cc:     Andre Kramer <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com>, Rich
Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
        From:   Richard Jacob/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
        Subject:        Re: WSRP wsdl and nav state in UpdateResponse

yes, this would reflect the discussion.
As you say in practice we would anyway check for all three or to be more
exact: for null or "" as currently there is no support to distinguish
between nill or not passed (the stacks should check this).
What would be the semantics on MarkupParams then where navState is
optional?
I would suggest:
If nill is passed to the consumer the consumer may ommit navState, if ""
is passed the consumer has to pass back a navState with value ""?
This would be a clean semantics: whenever navState passed to the consumer
is != nill then it has to pass the content back (even if it's "").

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

Andre Kramer <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com>
03/13/2003 07:35 PM