Subject: Re: [wsrp][interfaces and protocols]: First concall

I added some comments to the proposed agenda in blue.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           Michael Freedman  |
|         |           <Michael.Freedman@|
|         |           oracle.com>       |
|         |           04/04/2002 04:30  |
|         |           AM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           Michael Freedman  |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |       To:       Michael.Freedman@oracle.com                                                                                                 |
  |       cc:       wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  Re: [wsrp][interfaces and protocols]: First concall                                                                         |
  |                                                                                                                                             |
  |                                                                                                                                             |

Thanks for your comments.  I will rework/reorganize the document a little
to reflect these comments.  In reviewing a number of them I realized there
is a basic area being left out -- namely trying to capture all the things
we think a portal needs to ask a portlet to do.  My list assumes a number
of things a portal requests (but it by no means complete).  I think I would
prefer to change the agenda of the meeting a little for tomorrow:

a) Find someone to take minutes/notes. [5 min]
b) Discuss scope/focus of group [10 min]
    -- I propose this group focus on defining and specifying:
       a) the things a portal needs to ask a portlet to do.
       b) the things a portlet needs to ask a portal to do (if anything).

    -- I suggest that the details of such items such as URL rewriting and
namespace encoding be handled by the Markup subgroup, with
consideration/influence brought by us where necessary.

c) Brainstorm (and capture) all the things we think a portal needs to ask a
portlet to do. [40 min]

d) Meeting summary/next steps. [5 min]
    -- depending how the brainstorm goes my best guess is we will have
general terminology/model issues to focus on and/or we can move on to the
step I originally proposed for this week; namely begin to identify the
questions we need to answer for each of the discrete operations portals
request of portlets.

To prime the pump for the brainstorming session here is a preliminary list:

What does a portal ask a portlet to do?
      activate/become registered
      describe its capabilities/how it wants or needs to be managed
      discuss wether this information is statically provided in the
metadata or requestable at runtime
      create a portlet template instance
      Do we really need templates? What is a template other than a portlet
instance that is not displayed? Wouldn't the ability to clone a porltet
achieve the same effect?
      customize a portlet template instance
      see above
      clone and/or copy a portlet template
      delete a portlet template
      create a portlet instance
      customize a portlet instance
      would this be part of the interface or would it be up to the porltet
to display a configuration screen? The later would simplify things a lot.
      render a portlet instance
      describe the portlet instance (about)
      get help from the portlet instance
      see above, why not leave it to the portlet to display help
      ask a portlet instance to perform/take note of an action
      ask a portlet instance to respond to an event
      What's the difference between event and action. Would an action be
user initiated and an event system initiated? In my opion the later is an
orthogonal functionality. This could be provided by exposing a second event
handling interface that is not part of WSRP (e.g. the WSIA event handling
interface).
      clone and/or copy a portlet instance
      What's the difference between clone and copy?
      convert a portlet instance into a portlet template
      delete a portlet instance
      update description of capabilities
      deactivate/become unregistered
      Discuss if it should be possible to use one porltet instance from
      multiple aggregators (referencing instead of cloning). In this case
      we would need the concept of reference counting (e.g. a user would
      like to have his mail porltet with the identical status integrated
      into his portal at work and at home).

      From my point of view we should try to keep the functionality of WSRP
      as simple as possible. Fancier functionality (e.g. event handling)
      could be added on top using otthogonal interfaces. The easier the
      interface and protocoll is the sooner it will be adopted by "the rest
      of the world".

      Carsten

      -Mike-

Alan Kropp wrote:
       Some additional comments on the interface discussion points Mike
      circulated earlier.Alan