Subject: RE: [wsrp][interfaces]: Portal Usage Scenario

Hi Mike,

I need some clarifications:
1. personalization data - What does it mean that it can be shared between multiple instances? do you mean instances of the same portlet? if so, why is that a different instances, i.e. why should the consumer request the exact same data twice? And how is that different from a cloned instance?
2. "You can request a portlet instance render a link reference to itself" - Does that mean you ask the portlet for a URL that returns its content as markup? I think this should be part of the meta-data, as it does not need to be truly dynamic.
3. Why should changes to the portlet template's settings not affect existing instances? If the name of my company was change, I want the new name rendered in ALL the instances.

    Yossi.
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Freedman [mailto:Michael.Freedman@oracle.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2002 9:53 PM
To: WSRP
Subject: [wsrp][interfaces]: Portal Usage Scenario

I have attached a short document describing a portal's possible usage pattern for portlets using the terms we discussed last week.  Please comment/annotate with new operations or suggested operations to remove.  Please don't annotate with questions intended to clarify the behavior of the operation, send these separately. The goal for this Thursday's meeting is to see if we can agree on a preliminary usage pattern and collection of operations. Hopefully we can then move into enumerating the questions we need to answer.  In our discussion on Thursday, I expect we will need to classify at least the operational aspects of the usage scenario along two axes:

Axis 1:  Is this a valid Portal operation?

Axis 2: Should this operation be covered/enabled by our spec?

It might be useful if each of you did your own classification (assuming of course the usage scenario isn't grossly controversial).