Subject: RE: [wsrp][interfaces and protocols]: Portal using WSRP Service

Thomas,

I would separate your step 2 into two different steps: binding the
portlet service and creating a portlet template.  We talked about this
today in the Interfaces & Protocols concall, and I think it is an
important distinction.  As a portal, you probably want to register the
portlet web service (negotiating trust and behavior, etc.) just once,
but you will probably want to create many templates (giving different
administrative parameterizations to the portlet).  We came up with the
term "Bound Portlet Service" to describe what you have when you have
bound to a service but have not created any templates yet.  What do
folks think of the term?

Cheers,
Sasha.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Schaeck [mailto:SCHAECK@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 07, 2002 8:19 AM
To: Michael Freedman; wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Mike,

here's the life-cycle writeup I promised:

Binding to a WSRP Service
-------------------------

Pre: - The Portal and the WSRP Portlet Service are not bound -

1. The administrator browses the directory for WSRP services using the
portal admin UI -->
- The Portal finds the WSRP Portlet Service in the directory

2. The administrator selects a WSRP service -->
- The Portal makes a call or series of calls to the WSRP Portlet Service
establish a relation (bind) (may include establishing a trust relation,
see
my security note)
- The Portal creates a portlet template referencing the WSRP portlet
service. (Potentially, the template may need to be parameterized with
template settings to become usable.)

Post: - The portal is bound to the WSRP service through the portlet
template, users may now see the template beeing offered in the portal's
customizer -

Creation of Instances
---------------------

Pre: - The portal is bound to the WSRP service through the portlet
template, users may now see the template beeing offered in the portal's
customizer/toolbox -

3. A portal user selects the portlet template to be put on a page -->
- The portal server creates a portlet instance from the portlet template
- The portal server links the instance to the user's page

Post: - The portal is bound to the WSRP service through the portlet
template, users may now see the template beeing offered in the portal's
customizer/toolbox and a unique instance which may have persistent data
now
exists for the user

Destruction of Instances
------------------------

Pre: - The portal is bound to the WSRP service through the portlet
template, users may now see the template beeing offered in the portal's
customizer/toolbox and a unique instance which may have persistent data
now
exists for the user

4. A portal user discards a portlet instance from a page -->
- The portal discards the link from the page to the instance
- The portal discards the instance

Pre: - The portal is bound to the WSRP service through the portlet
template, users may now see the template beeing offered in the portal's
customizer/toolbox, the unique instance does no longer exist

Unbinding a WSRP service
------------------------

Pre: - The portal is bound to a WSRP service through a portlet template,
users may now see the template beeing offered in the portal's customizer
-

5. The adminstrator browses the list of portlet tempplates and discards
the
portlet template -->
- The portal makes a call to the WSRP Portlet Service referenced in the
portlet template to undo the binding
- The portal discards the portlet template

Post: - The Portal and the WSRP Portlet Service are not bound -

Best regards,

Thomas