Subject: Re: [wsrp] Are WSRP services aware of their page?

I would prefer that the portlets would rather be decoupled and unaware of
their context. From a design standpoint WSRP offers location transparency
and we should try to keep it that way.
Maybe the notion of the portal as an event broker could be used as a
workaround.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           "PAVLIK,GREGORY  |
|         |           (HP-NewJersey,ex2|
|         |           )"               |
|         |           <gregory_pavlik@h|
|         |           p.com>           |
|         |           04/17/2002 04:35 |
|         |           "PAVLIK,GREGORY  |
|         |           (HP-NewJersey,ex2|
|         |           )"               |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                            |
  |       To:       "'wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org'" <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>                                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                  |
  |       Subject:  [wsrp] Are WSRP services aware of their page?                                                                              |
  |                                                                                                                                            |
  |                                                                                                                                            |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The notion seems to be emerging in JSR 168 that a portlet should be able to
obtain from it's request context a "view" of it's page, including at least
information about the other portlets in the page. This way, portlets can be
coupled together to make decisions based on whether "partner" portlets are
present on the same page.

Is something we intend to support in WSRP? I didn't see anything on a
search
of the lists. My colleague on JSR 168 seems to like this idea, though I am
little uncomfortable with it in the context of WSRP: I'd prefer much looser
coupling between services be maintained if possible. Aside from that I'd
much prefer that alignment between the two standards be tight enough that,
from the programmers standpoint, location transparency is maintained.

If this hasn't been addressed, are there any thoughts from members of both
standards bodies?

Greg