Subject: [wsrp] April Monthy Reports for Interfaces + Publish/metadata

Are attached ...
Title: Core/Toolkit/Object/DevMan Expert Group Monthly Report

Interfaces and Protocols Monthly Report

Report for month of: April

Group Lead:Michael Freedman

Activities Finished:

  • Defined role and purpose:  this subcommittee will develop the requirements that will be used to define the API for the lifecycle and basic operations of portlets.
  • Basic terminolgy:  defined portlet service, portlet template, portlet instance, personalization data, and template settings
  • Described basic Portlet usage scenario: describes how a portal may interact with the entities defined by the above terms
  • Identified 90% of the core set of interactions/operations we want to focus on defining requirements for version 1.0 of the spec.

Activities in Progress:

  • Need to finish the discussion of what operations should be discussed as part of the core set.
  • Need to identify questions to resolve/requirements for operations in the core set.
  • Current ongoing discussion threads include:
    • management of personalization data.  Is it managed by the portal or the portlet?
    • actions and events. What are actions?  What are events?  Are they valuable enough to include in the first version of the spec?
    • terminology.  There is still ongoing discussions designed to clarify and tighten the terms defined above.

New Activities:

  • Need to idenitfy additional discussion topics that are pertinent but not included in operational set.  For example: form of SOAP message we will use.
  • Defining the requirements for the operations identified above.
Title: Core/Toolkit/Object/DevMan Expert Group Monthly Report

Publish, Find, Bind, and Meta Data Monthly Report

Report for month of: April

Group Lead: Michael Freedman

Activities Finished:

Activities in Progress:

  • Getting ourselves organized:  We have decided the Bind/Meta Data definition is a higher priority then Publish/Find.  We have decided that UDDI will only be one possible mechanism for Find, hence Bind operation must be defined on the portlet itself.  In general we are going to try and answer the follow:
    1. What actions should a portal application be able to take based on the published metadata about a WSRP service? Metadata requirements should directly fall out of this.
    2. Which metadata is required?  Which is optional?
    3. Will we support an extension mechanism to allow vendors to include custom metadata?  Example scenario?
  • Specific details:
    • Publish:  no discussion yet
    • Find:  there is ongoing discussion concerning identifying/defining the tModel UDDI key in public/private UDDI servers.
    • Bind: no specific discussion though the topic is also on the radar of the interfaces and protocols group
    • MetaData: no specific discussion over and above the initial list we put together at the offsite

New Activities:

  • Put together a discussion document that lists the questions needing discussion.
  • Continue e-mail discussions.