Subject: RE: [wsrp][markup] First conference call (Summary)

Title: Message
Sasha,

The question you raised is a somewhat major one.

SOAP is an application-level protocol that attempts to provide transport-independent (and hence HTTP-dependent) functionality. Thus, notions of caching, state, security, routing, and others would eventually have to be replicated as part of the protocol stack, as part of the vendors' offerings, and as part of the users' knowledge and training.

With different pros and cons, it seems that the $$$ that vendors put into so-called "education" around SOAP (and specifically, our friends in Redmond and our colleagues in IBM) paves the way for end users to accept the fact that SOAP is the de-facto server-to-server communication protocol, and implicitly accept the fact that this may require new "stuff" (whether new server constructs such as a "portlet container" Greg suggested or Web Application->WSRP adaptors or other tools).

Naturally, this direction is somewhat more questionable in portlets and interactive applications, where there's hardly a chance that someone will route the message through an MQ/Series, and HTTP does provide considerable "must have" functionality (which may not be required in other cases). Yet, I don't think there's a way the industry would accept today any standard that's not SOAP based. The bad part is that this will require a steeper learning curve, with the obvious associated risk. The good part is that this provides vendors with the opportunity to introduce new tools and solutions around the new standards, which, life as it is, is one of the main reasons the new Web Services stack was introduced.

Having said all this, WSDL does support plain HTTP binding, and we might want to consider this as well. It will not solve all the complexities you mentioned (e.g., there is still a single "Web Service" URL), but may offer a way to alleviate some.

Regards,
Eilon
-----Original Message-----
From: Sasha Aickin [mailto:AlexanderA@plumtree.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 4:49 PM
To: PAVLIK,GREGORY (HP-NewJersey,ex2); Thomas Schaeck

Greg,

I totally agree with you in your first paragraph here.  Folks earlier on
this thread were suggesting that implementing a web service portlet
using standard web app tools would not be hard, and I was trying to
point out that it would be quite hard to leverage web app features like
caching and session management without a lot of work.  I think you hit
the nail on the head when you say that "it's not clear how a SOAP
message should be reconstituted in a normal and repeatable way into
something that the servlets treat as an HTTP request without a
standardized definition".  Thanks for being clearer and much more
concise than I was.

If this hypothesis is true, and portlet development will not work like
web app development, then I think we need to be honest about the fact
that we are discarding a lot of developer knowledge, training, and
experience by using a SOAP based approach.  We are also creating a large
barrier to entry for the large existing codebase of web apps out there.
I don't mean to imply that we would be able to create a spec that will
support all existing web apps if we use HTTP/HTML, but the smaller the
barrier, the better.

To answer your question, Plumtree's current architecture does use
HTTP/HTML, and we do use standard proxy caches in between the portal and
portlet.  Since we didn't define a new caching scheme, portlet
developers can use standard HTTP caching directives in JSP, ASP, and
Perl, and they have a good strong specification (RFC 2616) as to what
effect those caching directives will have.

I understand your point about action handling, although I would argue
again that this is discarding the standard notions that developers have
about (X)HTML links.  Also, I feel like relative links might be a little
tricky, but I haven't honestly thought that completely through.

As for your point about session management, I'm not quite sure I
understand the sentence "Session could be
eliminated as a problem in Java if the portlet container is in fact a
container rather than a web application."  Can you expand on this point?

Thanks,
Sasha.