Subject: RE: [wsrp][wsia][wsrp-wsia joint interfaces][Draft Spec 0.43]Terminology

The WSIA requirements call for us to support persistent sets of data, so I
would prefer that we pick a name that is meaningful in both TCs rather than
ending up with 2 more specific names.

                      "Eilon Reshef"
                      <eilon.reshef@webc        To:       Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS,
                      ollage.com>                <wsia@lists.oasis-open.org>, <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
                                                cc:
                      05/22/2002 10:03          Subject:  RE: [wsrp][wsia][wsrp-wsia joint interfaces][Draft Spec
                      PM                         0.43] Terminology

A taxonomy question mainly to the WSRP folks (Thomas, Mike, ...).

I think everybody is pretty much on the same page with regards to the term
"session" which identifies the transient state. (And, as Rich noted, to
people that come from an OO background, this would be the same as an object
instance).

The tougher one is the persistent key, which in WSRP is typically referred
to as "instance", but as Rich noted this may be non-intuitive to people
from an OO background (who think of transient object instances), and hence
the need for a new term.

Would you find the following, radically simplified, suggestion for an
operation name intrusive:

createPortlet

Along those lines, a portal would call the operation createPortlet, would
get back a (persistent) portletID and then (optionally) call createSession
with the portletID.

Note that using this taxonomy, a portlet is the "last persistent instance".
So, multiple instances of the same mail portlet are multiple portlets.

A few justification points:
1. IBM's RPWS proposal used the term createInstance. However, clearly the
term "instance" is meaningless by itself - an instance is always an
instance of something, in this case I assume the intent was a shortcut for
createPortletInstance. Hence, createPorlet conveys a similar meaning.
2. The ability to create a persistent key seems to be only under the scope
of WSRP and not under WSIA. WSIA supports a persistent key to create
sessions and to subsequent operations, but wouldn't probably deal with how
they are created and management (with all the associated issues that are
well described in Mike's latest summary). Hence, the motivation to use a
portal-specific name.

Any thoughts from hard-core portal people?