Subject: [wsrp][markup] CSS Classes Update

There are still quite a few outstanding questions regarding some of the submitted CSS styles.  Please review and provide any comments/answers you might have to the posed questions.

We talked about most of these issues on the call today but I would like some closure on the issues related to some of the submitted css classes.  Specifically classes from IBM and WSUI.  I'll compile all of the comments and revise the document as needed.

Thanks,

Chris
Title: Links

WSRP/WSIA Defined CSS Classes

1. Links (Anchor)

Proposed

WSUI

IBM

SilverStream

Will use base <a> tag style attributes.

A.s3-Anchor

A:visited

A.s3-Anchor:visited

A.s3-Anchor:active

A.s3-Anchor:link

A:hover

A.s3-Anchor:hover

Comments:

1.1 Links should use the behavior of the "A" tag class.  No custom classes are necessary.

2. Fonts

Proposed

WSUI

IBM

SilverStream

.wsia-font

.wsui-font

.portletText

.s3-font

    .portletTinyText .s3-fontExtraSmall

.wsui-font-small

.portletSmText

.s3-fontSmall

      .s3-fontMedium
  .wsui-font-large   .s3-fontLarge
      .s3-fontExtraLarge
.wsia-font-error .wsui-font-error .fieldErrorText
  .wsui-font-error-small
.wsia-font-dim .wsui-font-dim
  .wsui-font-dim-small
.wsia-font-info .wsui-ok
  .wsui-ok-small

Comments:

2.1 If a portlet writer wants a certain font type to be larger or smaller, they should indicate this as a relative size.

Example1:  <div class="wsia-font-error" style="font-size: smaller">An Error Occurred.</div>

Example1:  <div class="wsia-font-error" style="font-size: 80%">An Error Occurred.</div>

3. Tables

Proposed

WSUI

IBM

Plumbtree

SilverStream

See 4. Sections

.wsui-table

.s3-table

.wsui-table-row-header .tableHead gHeader .s3-table-header
.wsui-table-row-sectionheader   gSubHeader
.wsui-table-row-odd   .gContentSection .s3-table-row-odd
.wsui-table-row-even .tableShdRow .gContentSectionGray .s3-table-row-even
  .tableText

Comments:

3.1 Tables can be styled using the section classes.  Section is a more general approach that can represent div, span, table,

and other types of markup.

4. Sections

Proposed

WSUI

IBM

Plumtree

SilverStream

wsia-section
wsia-section-header .wsui-section-title   gHeader .s3-paragraphTextHeader
.wsia-section-body .wsui-trail   .gContentSection .s3-paragraphTextBody
.wsia-section-alternate     .gContentSectionGray
.wsia-section-selected .wsui-trail-current

wsia-section-subheader     gSubHeader
wsia-section-footer
wsia-section-background
wsia-section-text

Comments:

4.1 I'm not familiar with the word trail, is this a standard publishing term?  Is this the paragraph?

4.2 Is wsia-section-text required?

4.3 Is wsia-section-background required?  Should be able to use the section's style attributes for this.

4.4 Is wsia-section-body required?  Shouldn't the body just take the attributes from the wsia-section?

5. Forms

Proposed

WSUI

IBM

Plumtree

SilverStream

.wsia-form-label .wsui-form-label     .s3-formFieldLabel
.wsia-form-field     .inputBox .s3-formField
.wsia-form-button   .buttonText .button .s3-formButton
      .popupButton

Comments:

5.1 There are possible issues with radio buttons and checkboxes.  If you change the background-color of the wsia-form-field the

checkboxes and radio buttons may look awkward when comparing NS to IE.  Need specifics.

5.2 popupButton is a button in popup windows, smaller than the regular button.  It was decided that popupButton is not needed.

6. Menus

Proposed

WSUI

IBM

SilverStream

.wsia-menu
.wsia-menu-item .wsui-menu
.wsia-menu-item-selected .wsui-menu-current
.wsia-menu-item-hover
.wsia-menu-item-hover-selected

.wsia-menu-cascade-item
.wsia-menu-cascade-item-selected

Comments:

6.1 Are there other areas of a menu that need to be represented by styles?

6.2 Are menu and cascaded menu the same thing?  Can we eliminate the cascade menu classes?

7. Portlet

Proposed

WSUI

IBM

Plumtree

SilverStream

.wsia-portlet
.wsia-portlet-head .portletHead
.wsia-portlet-body .portletBody
.wsia-portlet-background .portletBack .gBackground
.wsia-portlet-title .portletTitle
.portletTitleCust
.wsia-portlet-bg-color
.wsia-portlet-bg-image

Comments:

7.1 Consider eliminating the portlet classes all together in favor of using section classes instead.  Are there use cases that would support

keeping a higher level class that wraps all of the portlet's content?

7.2 Can we remov wsia-portlet-background?  Should be able to use the wsia- portal's style attributes for this, correct?.

7.3 What is portletHead used for?

7.4 Does the portlet needs the class portletTitle?  Isn't this controlled by the consumer container?

7.5 What is portletTitleCust used for?

8. Colors

Proposed

WSUI

IBM

SilverStream

.wsia-color1-shade1
.wsia-color1-shade10
.s3-color1
s3color10
.wsia-color2-shade1
.wsia-color2-shade10
.wsia-background-color1-shade1
.wsia-background-color1-shade10
.s3-backgroundColor1
. s3backgroundColor10
.wsia-background-color2-shade1
.wsia-background-color2-shade10
.wsia-border-color1-shade1
.wsia-border-color1-shade10
.s3-borderColor1
.s3borderColor10
.wsia-border-color2-shade1
.wsia-border-color2-shade10

Comments:

8.1 It would be nice to provide a color spectrum that developers can take advantage of.  These colors
can be arranged by shade from lightest to darkest.  It might be worthwhile to provide more than one
color spectrum.  For example: a theme may use 2 or 3 basic colors.  Each color can be represented by a spectrum of x number of shades.

8.2 Since each element may have different color attributes (i.e. "bgcolor" for table cells, "color" for fonts), we need multiple color classes.  Hence background-color, border-color, and color.  Can't the class specify all color atributes?

8.3 We should provide some use cases and an explanation of how the use-case may be implemented using CSS.

8.4 Probably won't be included as part of the first WSRP specification

9. Other

Classification Proposed WSUI Description
Position

Wsui-right

Wsui-left

Wsui-top

Wsui-bottom

Wsui-shape

This describes the position of an element

Media properties

 .wsia-media

Wsui-media format

Probably for Audio and Video streaming of content

Background properties

Wsui-backgroung color

Wsui-background pic

Logo?  Or Uniform background color

Margins

.wsia-margin-left

.wsia-margin-right

.wsia-margin-top

.wsia-margin-bottom

Wsui-left margin

Wsui-right margin

Wsui-top margin

Wsui-bottom margin

Spacing

.wsia-line-space

Wsui-space_between_row (of text)

spacing

Unclassfied   .wsui-block-bgcolor
.wsui-page-title

Comments:

9.1 Not sure what the position classes are used for.  Can't the section class indicate position information as a style rule?

9.2 Can we get more detail on media formats.  A simple use-case would be good.  Does this relate to the CSS media types screen, aural, print, etc?  If so does this need to be defined as part of the wsia appendix or should this be left up to the implementation style sheet?

9.3 Same issue as 9.1

9.4 Same issue as 9.1

9.5 Same issue as 9.1

9.6 What does wsui-block-bgcolor represent?

9.7 Does a portlet need page title?  Do we have a use case where a portlet would need this?