Subject: RE: Fw: [wsrp][markup] Conf Call Agenda (June5)

Sorry to follow up post to myself, but I remembered one other thing I wanted to include.  I think it's important to use tokens to mark both the beginning and end of URLs that are to be rewritten when using (2).  It will make the kinds of URL rewriting I propose below a lot easier (i.e. if using javascript rewriting, the parser won't have to find the end of the URL to insert the close parens).

Sasha.
-----Original Message-----
From: Sasha Aickin
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 11:59 AM
To: Alejandro Abdelnur; Michael Freedman
Cc: Chris Braun; WSRP

Alejandro,

I want to reiterate an objection I raised last week against (4) in the markup conference call.

I think that URL rewriting logic should be left to the portal to provide for the maximum flexibility for different web application platforms and kinds of URLs.  If we use (4), then we will be forced to define a rigid way of rewriting URLs that will need to be implemented by each producer.  There is a good chance that we would define an URL rewriting algorithm that would be difficult to implement on some platforms or have mistakes (especially when you consider the relatively poor and scattered support for internationalization in URLs).

As an example, imagine that a portlet had an URL, http://portletserver/rewriteme.htm?querystring=value,  that needed to be rewritten.  One portal might want to just add that URL to the end of its portal URL, like http://portalserver/portletgateway/http://portletserver/rewriteme.htm?querystring=value.  Another portal might want to make the portlet's URL a query string argument, like http://portalserver/portletgateway?portletURL=http%3A%2F%2Fportletserver%2Frewriteme%2Ehtm%3Fquerystring%3Dvalue.  Yet another portal might want to make the portlet's URL into a javascript call, like javascript:openPortletURL("http://portletserver/rewriteme.htm?querystring=value").  There are several other ways to rewrite URLs, but I think these examples show that we should not make all portals support the same algorithm for rewriting.  If we use (4), however, we will be forced to do this.  (2) gives us more flexibility both in the near term (for different portals to do different kinds of rewriting) and in the long term (for revision when new web application platforms allow for different types of URLs).

Cheers,
Sasha.