Subject: [wsrp][markup] Custom markup

Title: Message
I don't think it has been explicitly stated, but my impression from the markup discussion to date is that the spec will permit the portlet to insert custom markup in the output stream.  This is to say, transparent tagged data that is intended for the Consumer to do something with, but which is not recognized as belonging to a supported markup language.

I think this is an important capability to stress.  Many web applications exploit weak browser validation to embed useful non-HTML markup in the output stream, and we can anticipate that portlet producers will continue this practice.  Of course, we have an opportunity to make this more robust.

It may be useful for portlets to publish a schema for such data (part of the service metadata?), so that Consumers will have an in-band way to decipher it.

Thoughts?

Alan