Subject: RE: [wsrp] [wsia] [wsrp-wsia joint interfaces] agenda for Tuesday 11June

Comments below, under <GT>

-----Original Message-----
From: Carsten Leue [mailto:CLEUE@de.ibm.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 11:19
To: Gil Tayar
Cc: thomas klein6; 'wsia@lists.oasis-open.org';
'wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org'
Subject: RE: [wsrp] [wsia] [wsrp-wsia joint interfaces] agenda for
Tuesday 11 June

Gil -

1-3: the consumer MUST explicitly create entities (transient or
persistent). It can decide to create sessions explicitly if it wants to
share them amongs entities, otherwise it can let the producer create
sessions on the fly.
<GT>
OK. The question is, what sequence of APIs makes the Consumer share sessions
among entities?
Is the answer -
createSession (once),
createTransient/PersistentEntity (multiple times),
getFragment(session (one), entity (multiple)) [for each of the entities]?

</GT>
4: the decision to have multiple entities per session is up to the consumer
who make this choice based on the producer's metadata. e.g think of
portlets that form a shop together. These would want to share a session
with each other. But the consumer could decide to have two shops of the
same type on the same page. Then there would be two sessions and only the
consumer could know what portlet shares what session.
<GT>
How does the Producer indicate that they need a sharing of sessions? Is this
indicated in the document? Is a Producer a container of services (ala Mike's
notion), or is it one service?
</GT>
5: The consumer should create a session before issuing a getFragment call.
The entity is created whenever necessary.
6: A Session is a bucket that holds some data (physically on the provider)
and times-out after a while. A transient entity is a remote portlet that
does not store any data in a DB.

Hope that helped.

Best regards
Carsten Leue

-------
Dr. Carsten Leue
Dept.8288, IBM Laboratory Böblingen , Germany
Tel.: +49-7031-16-4603, Fax: +49-7031-16-4401

|         |           Gil Tayar        |
|         |           <Gil.Tayar@webcol|
|         |           lage.com>        |
|         |           06/11/2002 09:28 |
|         |           Gil Tayar        |

------------------------------------------------------------------|

<wsia@lists.oasis-open.org>, "'wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org'"
<wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>, Thomas|
  |        Klein6/Germany/IBM@IBMDE
|
  |       Subject:  RE: [wsrp] [wsia] [wsrp-wsia joint interfaces] agenda
for Tuesday        11 June                                            |

Carsten, could you clarify some things for me?

1. If sessions and entities are orthogonal, what SHOULD the Consumer do?
2. SHOULD it create a transient entity _and_ a session?
3. MUST it do so?
4. Who gets to decide whether there are multiple entities per session or
multiple sessions per entities?
5. When SHOULD a Consumer create a session and when a transient entity?
6. What _is_ a session, logically? What _is_ a transient entity?

Gil