Subject: [wsrp][wsia] Re: Proposal for simple properties mechanism based onXForms

Gil,

Thanks for giving this some thought and developing a proposal.  In last week's
WSIA customization call we also discussed this problem, and after iterating
over a few alternatives, converged to essentially the same solution as you
(which gives me additional confidence).  I took an action item to write up and
publish our proposal, but other tasks in the office kept me too busy and you
beat me to it.

Nonetheless, attached is the solution the customization group has been
discussing, framed as a substitute for the existing property chapter in the
joint spec (0.4).  I think it is very similar to your idea, with a couple
of minor differences:

- we did not include the notion of default type bindings.
- you suggest that getPropertyDescription() should return empty placeholders
for instance data (i.e., the instance subtree without the leaves).  In our
proposal, all properties must be explicitly bound, and thus given the set of
bindings with their XPath references it is possible to automatically construct
the property tree.  For example, given:
 <model>
  <bind ref="foo" .../>
  <bind ref="bar" .../>
 <model>
The corresponding
 <instance>
  <foo/>
  <bar/>
 </instance>
structure is implied.

I would like to better understand the motivation for your simplicity
constraints and their relation to the extension items you listed -- are there
to be three classes of property models?

I have concerns about leaving adherance to the other <bind> attributes to
extensions.  For example, I question whether it is reasonable to specify that
even a simple Consumer may just ignore a "readonly" constraint placed on a
property by a Producer.

Are extensions 3 and 4 different from 1 and 2?

Regards,
Tim