Subject: RE: Handling HELP

Alejandro,

I completely agree with this requirement.

I do have a couple of comments though:

1. Do you feel that the spec currently doesn't allow such behavior (as you
described)?

2. I would like to re-iterate a concern regarding bringing up additional
application/functional requirements. There are many requirements regarding
what a portlet should be able to do, including:
A. Displaying "help".
B. Validating user input.
C. Displaying fields of different types and lengths.
D. Allowing users to save, undo and apply changes.
...and so on.

My concern that analyzing each one in depth is not very practical. To some
degree, there are many types of application and even real requirements that
are not addressed or addressed poorly by Web-based (thin client)
infrastructure (e.g., the ability to update the data without refreshing the
screen).

At some point, however, we have to revert to the statement that since a
portlet can include any functionality available in a multi-step Web-based
application, then relevant application behavior is likely to be supported.

If we identify technical areas where we have failed (e.g., maybe we don't
support IFrames or popups well), then we need to resolve them.

Getting an agreement, however, on what constitutes a "good" application in
terms of functionality, user flow, etc. and trying to incorporate that into
the spec may be beyond the scope of 1.0 (and my hypothesis is that HTTP
would also not have approved based on such criteria as well... :-)

Regards,
Eilon