Subject: Re: Handling HELP

Comments embedded.

Alejandro

Rich Thompson wrote:

>I see two concerns being raised and would like to address them separately:
>
>1. Ability of a Portlet to use an external Help system (either as a system
>or a set of static pages).
>        This is certainly doable either using proxied resources or the
>portlet managing the connection to the external system. The Producer
>certainly could manage such connections for the Portlet and thereby reduce
>the repeated implementation of the functionality. If this really is a
>request for the portlet being able to control what the Consumer does as a
>result of End-User interactions with controls the Consumer has inserted
>into the aggregated page, then I would say it falls into areas we
>explicitly excluded from consideration for v1.

Is the latter for the specific case of Help.

>2. Displaying Help in a separate window or IFrame.
>        We have talked more than once about how a Consumer can manage
>multiple views onto a Portlet (each with its own navigationalState,
>windowState and mode). For a Consumer to launch a new window when the
>End-User presses the Consumer's 'help' control and to access the same
>Portlet from this new window is straight forward. The important key here
>is for the Portlet to not store information such as mode in a session-like
>manner, but to use what is supplied on each invocation.

It is not only the session but also the navigational state. Being a new
window, the new window will have its own navigational state, thus you
can not use session nor nav-state to share information with the Help
running in a separate window..

>        An area this does not deal with is the Portlet being able to cause
>a new view (window or IFrame) to be opened in a different
>windowState/mode. I think there was some speculation about how this could
>be done in JavaScript at one point, but it certainly has not been fully
>explored (in particular, what are the additional requirements it places on
>the Consumer?). Is there a strong use case requiring this to be explored
>before v1 is standardized?

If the consumer uses javascript to do the popup it is up to the
consumer, no need to standardize that.