Subject: Re: [wsrp] [wsrp-wsia] [change request #249] Class name length impacton performance

Title:
I agree with Rich on the clarity thing. However, I wouldn't have a problem with shortening the prefix from 'portlet-' to 'p-' and keeping the rest of the class name the same.

Mike, it's kind of funny that the document size appears to be an issue when you are considering encoding the navigational state of all the portlets in the page into every URL in the page. Just kidding ;)

Alejandro

Rich Thompson wrote:

To keep this reasonably in perspective, files with CSS definitions make wonderful items for caching and so the download time impact is lessened significantly. Also, the length of the class names is a minor part of the length of the CSS file.

The class names in the content is unlikely to add over a k in overall file size and therefore be a minor portion of the performance question.

Net: Class names should be as short as is reasonable as they do impact End-User performance, but clarity of what the class is for should not be sacrificed in order to shorten the name.

Rich Thompson

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS

03/26/2003 10:09 AM