Subject: RE: [wsrp] WSRP url parameters and URL Encoding questions

see below,

regards,
Andre
-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Thompson [mailto:richt2@us.ibm.com]
Sent: 31 March 2003 15:06
To: wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

The way the spec reads now, it is the Consumer's responsibility to return to the Producer whatever was specified. So for the two cases:
 1. Consumer rewriting: Consumer's task to encode/decode parameters for round trip through user agent so that it can resupply them correctly to the Producer.
[Andre Kramer] producer must also not include any "&" in parameter values for consumer writing.

 2. Producer writing: Producer's job to encode/decode/interpret properly when parameters make round trip through user agent (Consumer just reads from the activated URL and places the value into the appropriate field).
[Andre Kramer] The consumer's Web Server is likely to do a "URL decode" as the URL params come in to it. Best to forward unencoded to the producer, I think.

The discussion below sounds to me like some testing may be in order and then a section of the primer can discuss guidance in this area.

[Andre Kramer] The question is how much up front work we put in to make inter-op possible (even if common Web Servers URL decode and recognize the '/' url path separator) and probable.

 Not sure we need to be modifying the spec to say what all the issues might be, but do agree with the general comment that started this thread that the spec say that all parameters need to be URL encoded by the Producer.

[Andre Kramer] If not the spec, we need a document with some ability to make interoperability conformance statements (and a process to allow us to agree on them). Something that does not have to be frozen at 1.0. An Implementer's best practice?

Rich Thompson

Andre Kramer <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com>

03/31/2003 04:01 AM