Subject: Re: [wsrp] RuntimeContext.portletInstanceKey uniqueness requirement

I would say that there is no overlap between portletInstanceKey and portletHandle. I understand these as:

portletHandle: Producer defined means of identifying a particular configured portlet.

portletInstanceKey: Consumer reference to a use of a portletHandle. Uniqueness is required at registration level. These may come and go in a manner that appears random to the Producer as portlets are added to and/or removed from pages.

namespacePrefix: Consumer supplied token which is unique for this portlet instance on the page currently being aggregated. This token is allowed to change on the next call requesting markup though it likely won't as that would make Consumer caching less efficient ....

There is some overlap between namespacePrefix and portletInstanceKey. We kept the namespacePrefix only because we do not expect all classes of Consumers to have something to supply as a portletInstanceKey, but all Consumers can generate something for namespacePrefix.

Rich Thompson

Alejandro Abdelnur <Alejandro.Abdelnur@Sun.COM>

05/20/2003 09:00 AM