Subject: [wsrp] Issues with templates and method=get

This is to kick off a discussion of the issues Andre raised in this area. This issues tend to arise because templates for use with method=get will need to place the portlet URL parameters in the path portion of the URL and web stacks are often pickier about the path portion of an URL. Andre, please correct any inadequacies in this description of the issues:

1. Multiple '/' characters get collapsed.
     => My take on this is that templates will not want to be of the form ".../{parameter}/...", but rather ".../_{parameter}/..." as this precludes a zero length parameter from causing such as collapse. The current requirement for strict encoding of portlet URL parameters should take care of issues internal to the parameter's value.

2. Since many web stacks decode automatically, other problems can be introduced (ASP.Net has problems with the characters  ( %&'*:><   --- including the leading space).
     => I would need to understand the problems in order to comment ... not supporting '%' is particularly concerning (see #1).

3. Do templates need to be mime type dependent?
     => Do we have any examples where this becomes necessary?

Rich Thompson