Subject: [wsrp] Namespacing revisited

It was brought up on today's call that the primary target for namespacing is not particularly well served by the current design. lets consider a simple JavaScript function:

  function doNothing() {}

To namespace this today, one has to rewrite it as:

  function wsrp-rewrite?wsrp-urlType=namespace&wsrp-token=doNothing/wrsp-rewrite() {}

Points made about this rewrite:
  1. Rather unwieldy and certainly not obvious that the function name was originally "doNothing"
  2. It is not valid to run as is and this makes testing much more difficult

The question was raised as to whether we could easily specify a constant prefix token that this author could use that would leave the code both readable and testable while not requiring the Consumer to do two parsing passes. Here is a proposal:

1. Define "wsrp-rewrite$" as a token indicating that a token requiring namespacing follows
2. Require that a space (%20) follow the token to cleanly delimit the end of the token needing namespacing.

The author would rewrite our example function as:

  function wsrp-rewrite$doNothing () {}

This almost works. The problem is that JavaScript names can not contain a "-" character. It would work if our delimiting token was changed to wsrp_rewrite so that this example becomes:

  function wsrp_rewrite$doNothing () {}

and the Consumer URL rewriting expression changes to:

  wsrp_rewrite?wsrp-urlType=value&name1=value1&name2=value2.../wsrp_rewrite

Rich Thompson