Subject: Re: [wsrp] initCookie

I'm not sure if it does. I'm probably dense on this, but I'm not
convinced the wording helps justify this operation. Your suggested
wording implies that this is a producer's requirement, but it seems to
be a consumer's problem. IMO, the current wording places
responsibilities inconsistently (more below).

There are two problems here:

(a) Consumer making multiple simulataneous requests.

(b) Producer requiring initCookie before any markup request is made.

The first problem is analogous to an HTTP client making multiple
requests (say in a frameset). In this case, the requests won't be able
to join in the same session the first time, and this will be corrected
in subsequent requests (if cookies are used for session tracking). In
WSRP, this is strictly a consumer's problem.

On the producer side, the producer can always establish/reestablish
sessions as required and set the cookie (if it uses cookies) in the
response. There is no need for a separate initCookie operation for this
purpose. This is an unnecessary burden on the producer.

In order to resolve the current inconsistency, I suggest that the spec
reflect the following (and the changes below):

(a) Rename requiresInitCookie to supportsInitCookie.

(b) If a consumer is making concurrent requests (or for whatever
reasons), it may invoke the initCookie (if supportsInitCookie is true)
before making concurrent markup requests.

(c) The producer may reestablish the session transperantly if it was
found invalid during the course of a request. Right now it throws
InvalidSession fault forcing the consumer to drop everything, call
initCookie and reinvoke the operation. IMO, this is quite unnecessary.

(d) If the producer stores templates/user profile in the session and it
reestablishes the session during a request, the producer would throw a
MissingParameters fault (or some kind of a new fault
MissingParametersStoredInSession fault), and the consumer could reinvoke
the operation with the missing parameters. In this case there is no need
to invoke to initCookie operation.

(e) If the consumer is making concurrent requests, it may get
MissingParametersStoredInSession fault for all requests for that
producer. At this point, consumer may invoke initCookie and retry.

IBO, unless I'm missing something else, these changes would shift the
responsiblities to where they belong.