Subject: RE: [wsrp] Target for submission of WSRP to OASIS

Title:
I think that in the (unlikely) case that we must make changes to WSRP 1.0 to keep it in line with JSR, the price of withdrawing it from the OASIS approval process is not too high. It may still come down to about the one month that we are debating here.

On the other hand, the risk of further delay caused by JSR 168 specific (legal?) issues, beyond that one month, seems very real to me.

Another possible gain from starting the process, even if it does not immediately end in OASIS approval, is that we get a feel on if there are any issues that will cause "no" votes. The earlier we know about these, the better. We may have to do another revision anyway.

Finally, another risk of not finalizing the spec is that people seem to come up with new ideas, small improvements that can be made, etc. While many of these may be good ideas, this is exactly the kind of process that makes projects late and buggy. Even if we have to live we some mistakes that we made in 1.0, I think it is better to live with mistakes that were made early on, and survived a lot of scrutiny, than keep making changes at this point, where very few people are paying full attention, and "holding the full picture in their head".

    Yossi.
-----Original Message-----
From: Alejandro Abdelnur [mailto:Alejandro.Abdelnur@Sun.COM]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2003 6:31 PM
To: WSRP OASIS

I agree with Bill's comments.

I would just highlight this one paragraph from his comments:

Since we've spent so much effort on the coordination of the specs, locking WSRP into the OASIS Standard process now seems precipitous -- WSRP won't be able to change, even though 168 can continue to change. So we'd lose the ability to make final corrections to one of the coordinated specs.

Alejandro