Subject: Fw: Comments on WSRP 0.95 draft

Forwarding private comments for basis of references.

Rich Thompson

----- Forwarded by Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM on 07/09/2003 01:47 PM -----

William Cox <william.cox@bea.com>

04/23/2003 11:47 PM

        To:        Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
        cc:
        Subject:        Comments on WSRP 0.95 draft

Rich -

I already voted Approve, but I noticed several document issues in my
review. I'm sending these to you rather than the entire list, as they
are almost entirely editorial in nature.

bill cox

Section 1.2.3 -  Comment: The Consumer can also be viewed (and is,
indeed, so viewed by many) as a message switch, routing the results of
user interaction to the appropriate producer for action ( if the
consumer does not itself respond to the interaction).  We should
consider mentioning this in a future draft.

Section 1.2.3 - Comment: in ISO terminology, the consumer is a sort of
User Agent.

Section 3.2 and elsewhere - "an IDL-like syntax" begs the question of
"which IDL?" -- this is an editing nit, but got annoying after the third
or fourth time.

Section 3.1.2: Why is WS-I.org listed as an "emerging standard"? Given
that the Basic Profile is out (which is one more spec than WSRP has out
so far  :-) ), we should list the basic profile in the Existing
Standards list. It's OK to also list ws-i.org in the "emerging
standards" list with (say) security profile mentioned.

Section 3.1.2: "JSR168 – Java Community Process for standardizing a
portlet API." should be written "JSR 168 - a Java Community Process
effort for standardizing the Java Portlet Specification"

Section 5.1.4: "We STRONGLY RECOMMEND these characters be chosen from
the first 127 characters of the Unicode character set, so that the
length is no longer than 4096 characters regardless of whether it is
represented in Unicode, ASCII or a byte[]."

This sentence has several problems.  (1) the length of a 4096 character
string, wchar or not, is always 4096 characters. What you mean is
'length is no longer than 4096 bytes.'  (2) byte[] should be written
'byte array'.  So, rewritten, it should read

"We STRONGLY RECOMMEND these characters be chosen from the first 127
characters of the Unicode character set, so that the space consumed is
no greater than 4096 bytes regardless of whether it is represented in
Unicode, ASCII or a byte array."

Section 14: The definitions look pretty much OK.  The word hyperlink
didn't work (404) for the second two.

XML Spy complained  that the first definition was invalid: "Localized
String -- Invalid - no attribute with name xml:lang has been defined in
this or in included/imported schemas.  (As part of another schema, it
might still be OK)"

Overall: Are you using PDF Builder in Word to do the Acrobat? The links
should have appeared in the PDF and didn't.  What version of Acrobat are
you using?

**** Attachment william.cox.vcf has been removed from this note on 09 July 2003 by Rich Thompson ****