Subject: Re: [wsrp] Implementations

<evangelism>

I'm certain such an individual would be invaluable. One small note,
it is the ability to have standards specified in RFPs that will drive
adoption of standards much more quickly than the spread of publicity
from trade shows, though all avenues need to be pursued. What I see
in some TCs is a tendency for member companies to achieve a specific
goal or set of goals to have a standard either accepted or in the
pipeline that will bolster the appeal and the usability of their
applications in the sense of practical interoperability within a
niche, or a few such niches that are largely segment specific and
vertical in terms of the economic marketplace.

What is missing is the broad, horizontal applicability of standards.
To say that we tend to be myopic is somewhat understated and I don't
mind admitting it in myself. One need only notice the attrition in
our own TCs over the course of the 18-20 months of their existence.
We have not been perceived as advancing the quarterly bottom line
yet, but we may be now or soon.

I have maintained my own participation only by the thinnest of
margins, but now that the economy at least appears to be poised for a
significant recovery, the time is ripe for advancing WSRP on several
fronts. This is not to say that I think we should not service our
main markets, just that there are other opportunities out there than
IT first, Management second, and Supply Chain third, and so on. DoD
Procurement stands to be enormously benefited by web services, but
even more so in the competitive advantage offered by web services
providers offering up-to-the second information reliably delivered
within the same channels in which inventories are maintained by cross
connecting portlets from different supply chains. Shortening these
cycles, and reducing the number of contacts-leading-to-transactions
over time to accomplish operations such as reliable, just-in-time
deliveries should be only the most obvious benefits. Managing human
resources, especially in the areas of consolidation and redeployment
of skill set competencies can also be greatly benefited. A Navy
representative who understands this, and who shows how future tweaks
can improve this, will benefit all parties.

</evangelism>

--
Rex Brooks
W3Address: http://www.starbourne.com