Subject: Re: [wsrp] Groups - Agenda.ppt uploaded

All good points, some of which we should discuss via email so that both the agenda and prep for the F2F can be adjusted to make it an effective meeting.

My first take is that there will be a lot of reading we all should do in prep for this F2F:
 - v1.1 => I have been encouraging the pfb material be ready early enough that people can have digested it and come with questions for us to discuss. I also expect there will be some questions the SC will present and lead the ensuing discussion to a decision.
 - v2.0 => I think both the Coordination and Interface SCs will have material at a more conceptual level. For the Coordination SC, this is walking through the semantic document while for the Interface SC it is likely all of the feature proposal documents.
 - Markup SC => I have kept this in the v1.1 fold for the agenda, but am developing the impression that it will not be ready in a v1.1 timeframe and currently doubt there will be reading material in prep for the F2F.

I have the following goals for the F2F:
v1.0 => Define next steps and how we expect to achieve them. The Primer is likely the largest item in this area, but how to do Conformance is another.
v1.1 => Define the content ready to be included and decide whether it is sufficient to do a rev of the spec this year.
v2.0 => Bring the members of the TC from the issues list level of last September to the conceptual framework level the SCs are at and provide guidance on moving forward to more concrete solutions for the issues being addressed.

I also think we have lost energy relative to the forward movement. I attribute this to a couple of factors; 1) The TC has about half of the members of the v1.0 formulation timeframe and 2) We have work on three spec versions in front of us and the shorter term work on v1.0 and v1.1 definitely reduces effort available to push the larger v2.0 items forward. The need for a discussion of this is why I did not do an update of the timeline to reflect what I think about this as I think that will be a useful exercise for the F2F.

I would be fine with looking to conclude on Thursday at noon, but would expect that we would need to start at 9:00 on Tuesday-Thursday in order to work through everything by then. Would this be people's preference?

Rich

Michael Freedman <Michael.Freedman@oracle.com>

02/10/2004 03:13 PM

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS
cc
wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject
Re: [wsrp] Groups - Agenda.ppt uploaded

Rich,
At the high level the proposed agenda doesn't communicate goals for the
meeting.  Can we be more specific concerning what we should accomplish
at this F2F?  What specific goals/questions need to be resolved with
regards to 1.0 or is there merely information to communicate back?
Likewise for 1.1 and 2.0. It would be useful to identify and set
priorities of what we want to accomplish at the F2F.  This will help
me/others understand how to prepare I.e. I can't tell whether we are
expected to come to the F2F having consumed/digested a bunch of
documents and we intend to use the time identifying/discussing/debating
specific issues either already known or that arise or if the intent for
the F2F is to be more informational - primarily feeding us
information/details of current designs [because we haven't done much
pre-reading].  I worry that this F2F will be more a repeat or the last
vs. moving us forward another step.

Interesting question:  What is the top priority for this F2F?
To review PFB in detail, reaching a committee consensus on the framework
of a design; identify a preliminary set of technical issues to be
resolved; and move the process to the track issues/resolve mode?

To review the Primer in detail -- reaching a consensus that it is
technically accurate?

Reaching a consensus on what priorities/should be accomplished this
year?  [To some degree I have the sense we have lost energy since
releasing 1.0 and am beginning to wonder if what we have discussed
accomplishing is too much for our energy level]

Something else?

On a scheduling note:
Can we try and make Thursday a 1/2 day so folks have the freedom to
catch afternoon flights, etc?  It seems a shame to have a lunch break
followed by a short afternoon meeting.  Maybe we can start the Thrusday
meeting at 9am so we can get done by 11:30/12:00.