Subject: Re: [wsrp] Portlet lifecycles and CCP's

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com> wrote on 06/08/2004 03:41:31 PM:

> >>Consumer may call destroyPortlets to clean those clones. If
registration
> >>is required, the Producer will destroy cloned portlets during
> >>deregistration.
> >

> > we don't say that in the spec.
> > Again, a Consumer must call destroyPortlets() to release resources,
first.

> The spec does require this indirectly. All handles created within a
> registrationContext are required to become invalid after deregister().

That's true they are invalid, therefor a smart producer would most probably
destroy them.
However I think we require this step explicitly (not indirectly).
See 8.4:

  The Consumer MUST inform the Producer that a Consumer Configured Portlet
  will no longer be used by invoking destroyPortlets() and MUST NOT
  consider a Portlet to have been destroyed until destroyPortlets() has
  been successfully invoked for that Portlet.

I would say you can indirectly assume that a producer will destroy the
resources after deregister().
And why make a distinction between the registered case and not registered
case (where producer does not req' registration - here you need to destroy
these explicitly).

> This means that all cloned portlets become invalid even without the
> Consumer calling destroyPortlets() first. From the consumer's
> perspective, those CCPs no longer exist after deregister().
right, implementations would do that, but from the producer perspective
it's difference between invalid and destroyed :-)
Really riding the §'s now :-)

Richard