Subject: Portlet specific CSS and JS files

I would like to know if there is an interest in addressing the following
issues.

WSRP1.0 has the following limitations:

a. Portlets can not ask Consumers to load specific js files. The only
option is to inline the JavaScript within the HTML.

b. Portlets are restricted to use Consumer-specified CSS styles or
inline styles, but cannot ask Consumers to load additional styles from
css files.

In most applications, CSS files and JavaScript are maintained outside
markup. Some applications share these css/js files across multiple
pages. Such sharing will also improve performance since browsers can
cache those files, and markup will be less bloated.

For the 2.0 spec, I think we have the right plumbing to solve these use
cases. Here is one possibility:

a. Portlets advertise a number of resource IDs or resource URLs.
b. Consumers aggregate thoese resources into the page 's head element.

There are some open questions:

a. What happens if portlets duplicate any css definitions that are
already defined by the consumer? The consumer should be allowed to win,
I think.

b. How to deal with the MEDIA attribute? AFAIK, these are not
well-supported by browsers. Are there other user agent devices that
support these?

Any comments?