Subject: RE: [wsrp] spec-2.0-draft-05: lifetime interfaces: metadata required?

I would expect leasing to be detailed in a high level service level
agreement so did not consider service description metadata necessary.
Also, there is little opportunity for consumers to do much more than
renew leases as requested by producers and I expect leasing schedules to
evolve sensible, quite long termed values (e.g. order of weeks).

We did discuss signally whether or not leasing is in use (producers
returning no lifetime element demands explicit destroys) and possibly
consumers signaling a desire to lease (by adding a lifetime element to
their requests) once a producer signals leasing being an option via
exposing the optional ports.

Regards,
Andre

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Jacob [mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com]
Sent: 04 March 2005 11:32
To: wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [wsrp] spec-2.0-draft-05: lifetime interfaces: metadata
required?

Hi all,

- the current approach forces Consumers to use the lifetime operations
whenever the producer requires them (makes sense of course :-) ), i.e.
if
the Producer sets the lifetime in the according context structures
(RegCtx&PortletCtx).
Don't we lock out Consumers not supporting these operations from using
Producers requiring lifetime management even if the Producer supports
"infinite" lifetime?
The questions I'm targetting at are:
Do we need metadata in the ServiceDescription and PortletDescription
about
the lifetime requirements?

I could imagine a lifetimeDecsription like:
<LifetimeDescription>
  <maxLifeTime> (in seconds)
  <maxRefreshDuration> (in seconds)
</LifetimeDescription>
with
maxLifeTome=null -> infinite lifetime possible, explicit destruction
supported
maxLifeTime=xxx -> requestor not allowed to set this longer than the
period
specified
with
maxRefreshDuration=0 -> no automatic refresh, need explicit refresh
maxRefreshDuration=xxx -> automatic refresh, requestor not allowed to
set
this longer than specified here

In this case Consumers not supporting lifetime management could still
use
Producers which in general support lifetime management but allow also
for
infinite lifetime, i.e. explicit destroy.
Consumers not supporting lifetime management could opt to not use
Producers/Portlets which enforce lifetime management.

Otherwise we will lock out Consumers willing to support 2.0 but not
willing
to manage lifetime.

Another question is:
Producers could choose to support infinite lifetime for certain
Consumers
only (i.e. special registration) but for null registrations or
"try-and-buy" registrations only a limited lifetime. Do we need to
express
this in the metadata?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
WSRP Standardization Technical Lead
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com