Subject: RE: [wsrp] spec-2.0-draft-05: lifetime interfaces: comments

I agree that a lot of questions about the contract details can be
raised. I would punt to the WSRF work (drafts on
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsrf) and
make use of a 'under-specified as designed, consume must take care'
principle: the exact leasing contract is deliberately vague and a
consumer should be conservative in interpreting leasing time values.
E.g. consumer should somewhat urgently set the termination time (with
setTreminationTime()) if value returned is too close to the consumer's
current time of last use and the portlet is expected to be used again in
future. That's not to say we should not point out potential problems and
give guidance but we definitely do not want to nail down every detail.

Regards,
Andre

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Jacob [mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com]
Sent: 07 March 2005 11:04
To: Andre Kramer
Cc: Rich Thompson; wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org

agreed, makes no sense.
But the Producer only sets this on the initial request only (either
implicitly on the lifetime operations, or on the setXXXLifetime
operations).
But eventually this will happen.
My understanding of refreshDuration is an implicit means for the
Consumer
to assume the lifetime of a resource on a per-access basis.

Again an example:
terminationTime: 01:00:00, 02/01/05
currentTime: 00:00:00, 01/01/05 (time of resource creation)
refreshDuration: 1 Week

So if the Consumer accesses the resource at 00:00:00, 02/01/05 then the
terminationTime automatically changes to 00:00:00, 02/08/05.
But for example in week 1: 01/01/05 - 01/08/05 the terminationTime still
is
01:00:00, 02/01/05.

While thinking about this the question comes into my mind:
Or is the lifetime returned in the contexts with every response? (I
assume
the answer will be yes :-) ).
In that case do we need to restrict the Producer not to change the
terminationTime to an earlier time, and refreshDuration to a smaller
value?
I wouldn't like to require the Consumer to check these values with every
request and potentially store them in the DB.
Especially the refreshDuration approach seems to me to have many
implications on performance in terms of DB write accesses.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards,

        Richard Jacob
IBM Lab Boeblingen, Germany
Dept.8288, WebSphere Portal Server Development
WSRP Standardization Technical Lead
Phone: ++49 7031 16-3469  -  Fax: ++49 7031 16-4888
Email: mailto:richard.jacob@de.ibm.com

             "Andre Kramer"

             <andre.kramer@eu.

             citrix.com>
                                       Richard Jacob/Germany/IBM@IBMDE,

             03/07/2005 11:41          "Rich Thompson"
<richt2@us.ibm.com>
             AM
cc
                                       <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>

Subject
                                       RE: [wsrp] spec-2.0-draft-05:

                                       lifetime interfaces: comments

I would view the resource owner specifying a termination time sooner
than the current time + refresh duration as an error. Possibly a soft
error, in that a consumer may protect & recover from this. Then a call
to setTerminationTime() may be in order.

Regards,
Andre