Subject: Re: [wsrp] PortletDescription clarification

Rich Thompson wrote:

> This is a pair of SHOULD statements:
>
> 1. The first one says the Producer ought to try (outside of good
> reasons) and request items using the names the Consumer has said it can
> supply. This effectively requests the Producer to do name mapping when
> it can.

This is somewhat peculiar and inconsistent. In general, producers should
ask for things that they want, and it is the responsibility of the
consumer to supply the data, if they can. So, the burden for mapping
should be on the consumer side. I would like to open a change request to
drop this requirement, or atleast downgrade the conformance statement to
a MAY.

> 2. The second one says the Consumer ought to try (outside of good
> reasons) to supply data items the PortletDescription is requesting. This
> restricts capricious withholding of data and requests the Consumer to do
> name mapping when it can.

Got it. Thanks.

Subbu