Subject: Secure transport

To answer a question I was re-examining out secure transport
mechanisms.  It looks like the only runtime mechanism we provide allows
a portlet to encode the secure transport requirement in its rendered
URLs?  Is this correct?  Did we ever discuss trying to define a semantic
[in BlockingInteraction] to allow a portlet to get equivalent behavior
as defined by the flags in PortletDescription?  Namely, the ability to
ensure that all links on the page reflect the secure requirement vs just
the one's in the portlet?  If I understand things as we have them today,
its possible for the portlet to switch to secure transport [via its URL]
but then have the user interact with another portlet on the page that
doesn't know/need secure transport.  At this point the choices for the
secure portlet are limited, for example it can revert to the non-secure
page which caused it to enter, or render a screen that let's you
re-eneter it in secure mode.  Can anyone refresh my memory why we went
this route vs trying to find hooks that allowed the portlet to switch
the entire page into secure mode?  Was it just too complicated on the
consumer to keep track of this state as you interacted with different
portlets with different requirements?  Did we figure that most portlets
in this situation would merely set the secureOnly flag and be done with it?