Subject: Re: [wsrp] Coordination and frames

Yes, frames have there own set of issues.
Solutions depend on the complexity one is willing to implement on each side.

I would guess the simplest is having a wrapper within each frame which implements an onload handler to walk the markup tree and update appropriate target attributes to reflect what the server (which will process any URL activations) expects. Other more complicated scenarios could involve having the returned wrapper include which other portlets now have stale content so that refresh action can be triggered against them.

Rich

Michael Freedman <michael.freedman@oracle.com>

05/10/05 01:52 PM

wsrp <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
[wsrp] Coordination and frames

In investigating solutions to handle the nested form issue we discussed
at the F2F I have been looking into using frames instead of form
rewriting as a potential solution.  This has lead me down the track of
trying to figure out how our coordination could work when a page is
rendered as a set of frames.  The basic problem relates to our
assumption that coordination is scoped for a set of portlets [a page]
yet few portlets assume they are rendered in frames hence don't
manage/set the link/form targets in their markup yielding the default of
"self".  I.e. the typical portlet's link and form refs will result in
the browser filling this portlet's frame with whatever content is
returned; for correctness this must be a link/form reference that only
renders the referenced portlet.

So how does coordination work in this environment?  Public parameters
and events are designed to interact with other portlets on the page
resulting in these other portlets also needing to render.  But as said
above, we typically in a conetxt to rerender/receive these additional
renders.  Ideas?