Subject: RE: [wsrp] getResource question

I don't think we need to introduce a notion of some sort of persistent
resourceID. The resourceID parameter is just a way to point to a
resource and it should be perfectly legal (and normal) to use a URL
string as a resourceID. From the point of view of the protocol and the
consumer a resourceID is just a URI (a unique identifier for a resource)
- we do not describe or mandate the mapping mechanisms.

Regards,
Andre

-----Original Message-----
From: Subbu Allamaraju [mailto:subbu@bea.com]
Sent: 27 May 2005 15:01
To: wsrp

Andre Kramer wrote:
> Yes, URL-addressable resources need their addresses (URLs) mapped into
> the resourceID resourceParam. Remember that these (resourceIDs)
> themselves get put on URLs in the markup which is why I though it
> clearer as well as more general to not make them explicitly URLs or
even
> URIs (even though these are likely to be the common cases).

My main concern is that, a majority of resources are static and
therefore are URL addressasble. Web servers and app servers don't help
map static resources to resourceIDs.

We can encourage non-URL addressable resources to use the notion of
resourceID, but it is somewhat inconvenient to map static resources to
resourceIDs. There is some cost to managing resourceIDs (perhaps
persistently), and this discourages producers from supporting the
getResource operation.

I find that it is more natural for producers to use URLs for
URL-adressable resources, and resourceIDs for other resources (such as
some bank statement generated from user's query), and that the
getResource should provide for both.