Subject: Re: [wsrp] exportData field in ExportedPortlet Structure

I think you misunderstood my comment. Here is the sequence as I understand:

1. Consumer uses a portletHandle to request the export of a portlet [Note: actually uses the portletContext to handle case where state is stored at the Consumer].
2. Producer returns the portletHandle (reference to the request) and exportData (what is required to import the portlet)
3. Consumer invokes import passing an importID and the exportData [Note that there is no reference to the original portletHandle!]
4. Importing Producer returns the importID (reference to the request) and a new portletHandle (within a portletContext)

I don't see how exportData could be optional ... I do see how a Producer might just copy the portletHandle as exportData.

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

05/27/05 11:00 AM

wsrp <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Re: [wsrp] exportData field in ExportedPortlet Structure

Yes, but if the Producer decides not to supply exportData, the Consumer
won't be required to send it with importPortlets message. So, I don't
see making exportData optional changing any semantics.

Consider the case where the producer is able to export all portlets by
reference. Then the producer could return a message like

<exportPortletsResponse/>

But if the producer is able to export only a few portlets, it will have
to return a response like

<exportPortletsResponse>
  <exportedPortlets>
    <portletHandle>foo1</portletHandle>
    <exportData>xxxxx</portletHandle>
  </exportedPortlets>
</exportPortletsResponse>

So, the producer is forced to make up some exportData element. This
seems awkward.