Subject: [wsrp] Public parameters conformance statement?

Subbu raised a question about changing "Portlets do not store these items in any portion of their state as the Consumer supplies the items on each invocation. In the absence of a Consumer supplied value for a public parameter the Portlet listed in its portletDescription, the Portlet SHOULD use a default value" to say Portlets either SHOULD NOT or MAY NOT store these items ...

I considered this when adding this text, but decided against it as the one reasonable use case I could imagine for a Portlet storing the current public parameters was to use them as the default values should the parameter not be supplied on subsequent invocations. Do people think we should leave this as-is or make it a conformance statement?