Subject: Re: [wsrp] Wildcard notation in event names

This is one of those nasty conundrums ... the description of the EventDescription type is the most sensible place to talk about naming events while the natural place to talk about the wildcard issues is PortletDescription. A reasonable split in the discussion with a forward reference is what we have done at other such places in the spec.

On the lines of a conformance statement concerning Consumers respecting the wildcard definition, I don't think we have one ... how about changing

"Each name specified is allowed to end with a “*” character to indicate the Portlet could publish any event whose name starts with the characters before the “*” character"

in 5.1.15 (publishedEvents ... handledEvents would then want to reference this conformance statement) to

"Consumers doing event distribution are REQUIRED to match event names ending with a “*” character to any event whose name starts with the characters before the “*” character"?

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

05/31/05 05:26 PM

wsrp <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Re: [wsrp] Wildcard notation in event names

Thanks. The reference to 5.1.15 provides the context I was looking for.
I suggest that this paragraph be moved to 5.1.15 since while reading
5.1.11, it won't be clear to the reader what this discussion is about.

My other question is, is the Consumer required to honor the wildcard
notation? I think the anser is YES, but I would like to have this
confirmed in the spec.