Subject: RE: [wsrp] User Profile Items - Draft Proposal

Thinking out loud is definitely not a bad thing!

I think there is value in having a centralized place that all non-spec defined types can be carried. This should support both in-line and referenced schemas. One still has the issue of connecting named items to type information (in worst case this should be doable at runtime), but at least half of the problem is dealt with in an overarching manner.

On connecting named items to types, wouldn't adding an optional type field to ItemDescription be simpler than most other approaches (and backwards compatible to boot)?

Rich

"Andre Kramer" <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com>

06/01/05 07:30 AM

Rich Thompson/Watson/IBM@IBMUS, "wsrp" <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
RE: [wsrp] User Profile Items - Draft Proposal

Thinking out loud:

Then we should consider defining a new element SchemaDescription that can carry a namespace name for an extensions as well as a ModelTypes (an any) and / or a schemaLocation URI? This could be added at the ServiceDescription and the PortletDescription to provide type information on user profiles and any other extension? And customUserProfileItemDescriptions would just enumerate the namespaces used for profile related extensions.

SchemaDescription
            [R] URI Namespace // match against custom*Items and extensions
            [O] ModelTypes ModelTypes
            [O] URI schemaLocation

ModelDescription seems too property related. We may want to consider such schema description support for coordination too.

Regards,
Andre

RE: [wsrp] User Profile Items - Draft Proposal

I would agree that it is misleading to claim UserProfile is not extensible in v1 as extension points exist at every level in the hierarchy, including the base. What was accepted as an issue at the F2F is that there is no means to exchange type metadata about custom user profile items. I could see ModelDescription as a good candidate for how to exchange this information, but do not see a need to change the way such items are carried at runtime (i.e. as extension elements).

Rich

"Andre Kramer" <andre.kramer@eu.citrix.com>

06/01/05 04:09 AM

"Subbu Allamaraju" <subbu@bea.com>, "wsrp" <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>

RE: [wsrp] User Profile Items - Draft Proposal

It's a bit miss leading to claim UserProfile elements can't be extended
in 1.0. While I'm not opposed to using properties as a extension
mechanism, I think the intent was to allow each of the UserProfile
sub-elements to be extensible? E.g. EmployerInfo could carry standard
codes for type-of-business in an extension element using some existing
XML schema. Therefore, would it not be better to leave custom values to
XML as an extension, at the appropriate level, relying on namespacing,
rather than forcing a property model to be in use at the profile level?

Regards,
Andre