Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [wsrp] Public parameters - caching]

I'm not quite getting the public parameters. I must have missed discussions on it. They do indeed seem very similar to user profile items. What situations set the public parameters? Are they set in the consumer via mappings etc like user profile items? I would have thought they could be returned via perform blocking interaction so portlets could be involved in setting parameters.

Mike
----- Original Message -----
To: WSRP TC
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 4:33 PM

Just to be clear, I am just trying to help think clearly through the situation before we commit to such a path ...

While the analogy to User Profile items is tempting, I think the difference is in the area of expected stability. User Profile data is expected to change infrequently and it is quite reasonable for the Consumer to simply resend the entire data set when a change does occur. I expect public parameters to contain a mixture of items where many are relatively stable and some change relatively frequently, though hopefully not on every user interaction (:}).

Here is my overall mental diagram:

 -----------        -------------------------
| Consumer  | ---> | Mapping to Portlet 1 PP | -> sent to Portlet 1
|  public   |       -------------------------
| parameter |       -------------------------
|   store   | ---> | Mapping to Portlet 2 PP | -> sent to Portlet 2
 -----------        -------------------------
E.g. zip      --->  P1(zipCode), P2(postalCode)

Adding session-level caching adds some interesting items to consider:
1. Consumers would need to track what Portlets cache PPs for use when building SOAP messages
2. When one PP changes on a page with many PPs, does the Consumer:
    a. Resend all PPs - greatly reduces value of doing the caching
    b. Resend only changed PPs - raises question of how to indicate it is time to use the default value of a PP
3. Bookkeeping relative to caching:
    a. If a PP changes in such a manner that the Consumer is able to get the Portlet's markup from a cache, the Consumer must track that the Portlet doesn't yet know about the change.
    b. Answer to Q2 impacts whether bookkeeping is done per PP per Portlet or merely per Portlet.

Both the bookkeeping costs (memory & processing) and value of the caching depend strongly on the answer to Q2. Answer 2.a has less caching value, but lower bookkeeping costs.

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

06/02/05 10:10 AM

WSRP TC <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Re: [Fwd: Re: [wsrp] Public parameters - caching]

We have a similar situation with user profile items. These items can
change at any time depending on what goes on within the consumer's
environment. In such cases, the consumer is supposedly responsible for
resending the user profile items even when the producer stores the
parameters in the session.

Public parameters are in someways transient consumer-managed
initialization parameters. Since the portlet advertises the required
parameters at discovery time, I don't see how they can be more dynamic.
The values could change for a variety of reasons, and the consumer can
always resend when changes are detected.

Regarding Rich's comments:

1. I'm not sure if I completely follow the comment on bookkeeping.
Whether we have this kind of caching or not, the consumer will have to
have some system of storing and tracking public parameters. If the
consumer does not want to detect changes, it can always resend all
values on every request. A smarter consumer would possibly send only
those that changed from a previous request. A lazy consumer may not care
about changes during a session.

2. Stateless portlets would declare that they don't store public params
in session.

3. Whatever caching considerations we have (or don't have - I have to
check the spec) for user profile items should apply here too.