Subject: Re: [wsrp] Redirect from handleEvents

While it is a reasonable exercise to make sure our web service definitions map reasonably to popular platforms, lets make sure not to go too far in trying to define how something like the Java Portlet API should be extended to deal with v2 items such as events as some other standardization group will be who makes those determinations.

As to your questions:
a. As a user, I rarely see what looks like an action URL result in a redirect. On the other hand, I frequently see regular URLs direct the browser away from an aggregated page.

b. I would hope APIs such as the Java Portlet API would support v2 events by allowing developers to define their own event handling methods and connect these to events via metadata (one could even hope for a reuse of WSDL!). This makes it easier to expose the semantics of the event handler to whomever is defining how the portlet is participating in the processing of the aggregated page(s). This is significantly more natural for the portlet developer than having a generic method which is simple a large switch statement for selecting the "real" event handler. Whether of not such methods are required to have a specific signature or whether the available set of inputs and outputs is variable depends a lot on the environment, but requiring a specific signature style is not a significant burden on the developer.

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

07/29/05 05:46 PM

wsrp <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
[wsrp] Redirect from handleEvents

To take yesterday's discussion forward, I would like to summarize the
current arguments.

Problem: handleEvents does not allow Producers to request for a redirect.

Argument 1: To keep the programming model simple, allow Producers to
return a redirectURL, and clarify that Consumers are NOT REQUIRED to
honor such a redirect.

Argument 2: Since some/most Consumers may not honor a redirect due to
the possibility of parallel event processing, why specify something that
may not work always.

I would like to ask the following questions for discussion next week.

a. How frequently do developers rely on redirect?

b. How would you see redirectURL getting exposed in the portlet
programming model, for example in the Java Portlet API.