Subject: Re: [wsrp] ExtensionDescription

Comments in line.

Subbu

> In your example below, protocol extensions are treated the same as open
> content models used within the protocol, and this has been my concern.
> RT> If you think there is an error is how the table describes who
> defines what, please point it out as I think the distinctions it makes
> in this area are correct and similarities obvious (I see some handler
> along the way destroyed the table layout in the copy below. Let me know
> if it didn't appear in the original email as a table and I will post it
> as a document instead.).

There was no question of formatting. Sorry if I had implied something
like that.

> When a portlet/producer defines a StormWarning event, it is using the
> open content model specified in the protocol. The protocol still
> specifies what an event is and how it SHOULD/MUST be treated. Whatever
> data a producer or a consumer carries as the payload will always be
> treated as an "event" by all parties concerned.
> RT> Section 5.1.1 defines what an extension is and how they should be
> treated (including conformance statements!). I fail to see a difference.

True, it defines it as a means for spec users (not owners) to extend the
protocol. It does not say that extensions just extend the data model.

> In the second example, the MobileDevice is an extension that is not
> specified by the protocol. As far as the protocol is concerned it is
> some arbitrary data that a vendor/implementor placed possibly for
> addressing some use cases not addressed by the protocol. It could be a
> MobileDevice or a SailBoat or a FloridaOrange. The spec does not
> know/care. Only the vendor/implementor knows/dictates the semantics of
> this data. The protocol does not (and should not) say how it ought to be
> treated, because the sole purpose of an extension per the way it is
> defined currently in the spec is to extend the protocol.
> RT> Exactly the same is true of the event. The protocol defined the
> contextual semantics for carrying something where a user defined the
> precise semantics and syntax of the actual item.

Sorry, I must disagree. This is not the case with an event. The spec
defines what an event how it must be carried. I see a clear difference
between spec defined semantics and spec user defined semantics.

> Another way to look at this is to consider the difference between
> extending a data model vs extending a protocol. The StormWarning example
> coule be treated as extending the WSRP data model. The MobileDevice
> example falls in the second category of extending the protocol. Both use
> open content models at the data level, but in the latter case,
> discussion on both the data type and semantics are outside the spec's
> domain.
> RT> Both contain minimal elements of extending the protocol and are
> primarily extensions of the data model.

Not unless we go with this proposal. Extensions extend both the data
model and the semantics - not just the data model. In fact, with
extensions, the semantics are as important (if not more) as the data model.