Subject: Is export via Context broken?

I recall that when we discussed import/export by reference we wanted to
support the ability to represent an export/import entirely by the
exportContext field rather then relying/forcing each portlet to have a
discrete representation.  Did we want to support this?  If so I can't
figure out how this is supported in the current spec.  Can someone
explain?  The key question is how does the importer (consumer) relate a
specific newly created imported portlet to the consumer side element
that represents it?  In the case there is per portlet export data that
is managed by passing a consumer importID/exportData pair.  How does
this work when there is no per portlet export data?  Another (less
critical) question is how does the producer know what portlets were
successfully exported when only exportContext is used?  Must they check
the failed list and do a negative check?  I.e. anything not in the
failed list has been successfully exported.  Must this be done all the
time to handle the extreme case that some portlets are exported on a per
portlet basis while others are exported via the exportContext?