Subject: Re: [wsrp] Semantics of capabilities in property descriptions

Rich Thompson wrote:

> The intent is to allow a portlet to express a requirement for a
> particular property to have a value before normal use on a page (e.g. an
> email portlet requiring the mail server's URI). This makes a lot of
> sense for registration and customization properties and the spec calls
> out when the semantics of other uses of this descriptive structure
> override the possible setting of this capability.

I agree.

> I agree that "sender" is better than "user" for both sentences and have

Thanks for the change. But it still leaves the second sentence unclear.

"If the capability is not set, the sender of the property may choose
whether or not to supply a value."

My difficulty is in deciphering "if the capability is not set". The
subject of the sentence is missing.

> changed it for draft 13. As always; if anyone has a proposal for a
> clearer term, please propose it. In particular, any suggestions that
> would be better than "capabilities"?

How about we borrow the term "use" from the XML Schema spec? If the TC
thinks this would be confusing, we can try "usage".

Subbu