Subject: Re: [wsrp] XMLHttpRequest and WSRP 2.0 - where do we stand?

What would be gained by such a partial solution that the portlet couldn't simply manage itself (perhaps with Producer assistance) by using resource URLs and a queue of pending updates within a session?

If the long-term solution is clear (i.e. just needs the details worked out) and the partial solution brings a high value, then I could see including the partial solution in v2. Otherwise I would favor leaving the discussion to v3.

Of course, another option would be to delay v2 until a relatively complete solution is designed ...

Rich

Subbu Allamaraju <subbu@bea.com>

01/25/06 12:09 PM

OASIS WSRP TC <wsrp@lists.oasis-open.org>
Re: [wsrp] XMLHttpRequest and WSRP 2.0 - where do we stand?

Thanks for your comments.

As some of you might have noticed, there is a LOT of interest in the web
developer community in leveraging Ajax-style technologies. The key issue
with WSRP (and also the Portlet API in the Java-land) is that the
protocol prevents use of Ajax-style technologies in portlets. A few
people in the community have tried using XMLHttpRequest with WSRP and
the Portlet API, but could not make much progress.

Taking one step at a time, the first and the key issue is guaranteeing
that a given render/action/resource URL would cause a consumer-driven
invocation and rendering of a single portlet.

Here is a proposal. A new URL parameter, let us call it
"wsrp-aggregate", with a value of "false", would let portlets create
URLs that are guaranteed to cause a single portlet invocation.

For example, to create an interaction URL to post some data via
XMLHttpRequest, a portlet would create a URL with wsrp-aggregate=false.

The consumer will then invoke the phases of the portlet's lifecycle
(pbia, he, and getMarkup). Depending on how the consumer implements
support for events, it would either process events for all portlets on
the page, or store the events for later processing, or simply discard
events targeted for other portlets. Note that the current event model
makes no assumptions about page aggregation.

IMO, other problems (see comments below) related to supporting
Ajax-style interactions are implementation specific. The key issue for
WSRP is to support such interactions within the protocol. Given the
popularity and interest in using Ajax in web apps, we should consider
taking the first steps towards supporting such interactions in V2, and
continue further work in V3 based on implementation experience.

Rich Thompson wrote:

> While I would agree that supporting portlets which use AJAX-style
> communications is an important use case, I think a full discussion of
> the issues will not happen quickly. Some of the issues I see are:
>
> 1. While data oriented communications are reasonably supported via
> resource URLs, interactions that impact portlet state cause problems,
> such as:
>  - inability to clone the portlet if enduring state changes
>  - inability to communicate an updated navState back to the Consumer
> (consider what happens if the page updates due to a user interaction
> with a non-AJAX enabled portlet)
>  - inability to leverage the new shared state models

Right, and that was my motivation for bringing up this topic. Some of
the problems like page refresh and back buttons are fundamental to Ajax
style of interactions. As you may be aware, W3C Web API WG is looking
into these.

> 2. Portlet state cached in the browser. Key point here is that the
> browser becomes part of the overall processing done by the portlet. Any
> state held within the browser can easily be lost; consider, for example,
> the impacts of a page refresh

Right. The consumer will have to be smart enough to manage state such
that it is not lost due to a simple page refresh. A hard problem for the
consumer to solve, but not impossible. Given the strong interest in Ajax
among web developers, consumers will have to start considering these
problems.

> 3. Insufficient browser security model. This is already an issue with
> composed pages (i.e. malicious portlet can activate an action link from
> a different portlet) though the user would get a reasonable notification
> by the page refreshing. If such a malicious portlet could also suppress
> the notification to the user, this problem becomes severe.

I don't know Ajax-style interactions open new security issues. I think
the security issues are more fundamental.

> 4. Coordination impacts. In order to preserve the concept of the page
> reacting as a whole to user interactions, AJAX-style actions really
> should use the full 3-steps of the protocol with the modification that
> only the impacted portlets are rerendered. I think this drives the model
> toward Consumer-control over such partial updates rather than asking the
> sourcing portlet to update multiple places on the page.

I agree. Consumers wanting to fully support such interactions will have
to find better ways to implement event coordination. Consumers can no
longer assume that all portlets participating in an event train are
being rendered in an aggregated page. Similar issues arise if a consumer
is implemented using iframes.