Subject: [AJAX] Redirect behavior - clarification

When I raised the question of semantics of redirectURL, it was suggested that it can be treated as a regular full-page redirect. I would like to get some clarification on the behavior.

When a browser submits an XHR and encounters a redirect, the browser would follow the redirect and send the final response to the script. Since the redirect target will most likely be outside the consumer, the
consumer cannot include its own response when a redirect happens. As a result, the (consumer supplied) client side script may not be able to understand the response.

I see three options:

a. Disallow redirects.

b. Let the consumer handle the redirect, and capture the response. This would give the consumer a chance to include its own response.

c. Let the consumer send a redirect header to the browser, and comment that consumer's script may just get the portlet's data/markup in the response, and it should be ready to deal with it.

I vote for (c). Any comments?