Subject: NavState vs. Interaction State or what is the purpose of interactionstate?

Given the current state of the spec, I am trying to figure out what the
purpose of interactionState is.  Can anyone help?  My recollection is
that originally interactionState was the PBI equivalent of
navigationalState (for getMarkup) prior to us adding the "performance
enhacement" that passed PBI MarkupParams so action/render response could
occur in a single request.  This no longer seems to be our intent as
shown by the URL samples in section 10.2.1.9.  I.e. the second example
expresses an actionURL with both navigationalState and
interactionState.  What is the new model?  I can think of something like
interactionState holds those values that augment the action processing
while navigationalState holds those values that augment the rendering
process -- but that seems pretty meaningless given that in most
applications state is state that you compute with and render from.  I.e.
why wouldn't developers merely represent all such state as
NavigationalState (particularly because this form now has an opaque and
non-opaque portion)?  Since navState doesn't inherently carry forward at
the end of an action/event, you must explicitly set it it seems to offer
everything interactionState does but in one object that spans all
operations.